The Holm (Danish: Holmen) is a fishing district in Schleswig, located on the loop between the old town and the freedom of Schleswig.
The name of the settlement is based on the northern German or Danish word Holm. It means little island. The settlement originated around the year 1000 on a small island off Schleswig, which (until 1933) was only connected to the city by a bridge and led a life of its own with fishing, handicrafts and trade. The oldest town law in Schleswig (12th century) confirms privileges and special rights of the Holmer fishermen, which were confirmed in 1480 with the Schlei privilege / "Schleibrief" by King Christian I of Denmark: "The fishermen have the right to fish freely all over the loop and can stretch out their nets to dry in the country as far as they can tiller with the tiller from the ship. " This right applies with a small restriction to this day (according to the judgment of 1924, the Holmer fishermen from Schleswig to Sieseby and the Arnisser and Kappelner fishermen from Sieseby to Schleimünde are allowed to fish). Around 1900 around 100 fishing families lived on fishing on the Holm. In the 1950s there were still around 60. In addition to small / fixed net fishing, they continued to do traditional "seine fishing" until 1968. Today a handful of fishermen still live on the spar, who practice their craft individually.
After the Thirty Years' War, the Holmer fishermen founded the Holmer popularization in 1650, a so-called "death guild" to help each other in times of war and plague. The Holmer popularization still exists today.
The central part of the district is a small cemetery with its own chapel, around which the individual fishermen's houses are grouped. The St. Johannis monastery off Schleswig is also on the Holm. This rectangular building, with a modest size and barely 80 × 60 meters in size, was founded in 1194 as a Benedictine monastery and was converted into a women's convent in 1536. Today there are even some private rental apartments in the monastery buildings. In order to be able to document the history of the district for posterity, the Holm Museum was founded in 1992 as part of the Schleswig City Museum.